Hi all,
we had some discussions on the weirdness of Garmin's routing algorithm
in the past.

In August 2014, I described an example, and popej could give a good
explanation:
https://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2014q3/thread.html#21825

Beyond that, "newer" Garmin outdoor devices (ehm, my Oregon is from
2013) have "activity routing" which causes odd artifacts even when you
think that you do not use it: it may send a car to a cycleway parallel
to a primary road. or a bicycle onto a motorway. Hence the trick by
ligfietser to use non-routable lines for non-cyclable ways is important.
Perhaps you can find the messages some where on the forum
https://forum.openstreetmap.org/

Regards,
Bernhard