On 9/16/06, Juergen Schreck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Docs aren't helping me on this one. I have:
>
> var  foo = {'item_no' : '185-N', 'name': 'Chair'};
> var bar = {'item_no' : '185-N', 'name': 'Bed'};
>
> compare(foo,bar) gives "[object Object] and [object Object] can not
> be compared"
>
> objCompare does the same thing.
>
> My main question: what do I do to compare stuff like this?

Write your own comparator, or compare something like
sorted(items(obj)). It's intentional that MochiKit doesn't define a
comparator for arbitrary objects that it doesn't know anything about.

> Further, I need something that gives me the difference of two objects
> in form of:
>
> findDifference(foo, bar) would return {'name':'Bed'}
>
> and
>
> findDifference(bar, foo) would return {'name':'Chair'}

MochiKit doesn't currently implement anything like that.

> I know there's probably nothing in the MB stock that does this, but I
> assume it has some useful functions that can assist me in making my
> code shorter. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

I doubt you'd really want to use much from MochiKit to implement that,
other than compare. It's pretty basic stuff otherwise.

-bob