At 19:57 -0500 1999-10-29, Leslie Mikesell wrote:

> However you didn't explain why you would
>like to replace these typically small and fast programs with
>a 10-20Meg mod_perl process.  I can see where having a common
>modular authentication method would be useful, but what else would
>they have in common?

Other advantages might be:
- portability (Perl is everywhere, Apache is getting there).
- common configuration formats
- use perl's regexes in just about anything

Disadvantages:
- the same security vulnerabilities in every implementation.
- common configuration formats probably means no config is really easy, all
are equally annoying.
- perl's regexes in just about anything :)

Perl-enhanced Apache & things like DAV are more promising for totally new
services. Why fix what isn't broken?

--
Neil Kandalgaonkar                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Systems Architect, Stylus Inc.           http://www.stylus.ca/