> I'm assuming that Perl itself is reentrant, since it has been embedded
> in multithreaded environments before (IIS).  Hopefully someone can
> comment on that.

Perl 5.005 has experimetal thread support, Perl 5.006 might be stable
enought to really use it.

What ActiveState has done for IIS, is to pack the Perlinterpreter in a
single C++ object (compile Perl with PERL_OBJECT) and now every request can
get his own private Perlinterpreter. This model (maybe a pool of
Perlinterpreters) may also work for mod_perl. Jochen Wiedman already has
done some work on make mod_perl compile with a Perl that is build with
PERL_OBJECT, but a lot of work is left...

Gerald

Gerald Richter      ecos electronic communication services gmbh
Internet - Infodatenbanken - Apache - Perl - mod_perl - Embperl

E-Mail:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Tel:        +49-6133/925151
WWW:        http://www.ecos.de      Fax:        +49-6133/925152