> here's a suggestion - although I did not try it.
>
> [! $expr="[^-]+"; !]
> [- $testdata=~m!$expr!go; -]

I also didn't tried it, but it should work this way.

> if not - probably can work around it by placing this code in
> a separate module and calling it with embperl.

Would work also, but seems too complicated to me.

> looks like we need some kind of embperl escape character.

What do you mean by "embperl escape character"?

> no matter what you choose for embperl delimiters it can be broken
> somewhere.

Yes.

The simplest solution I see for now, is what David posted in his first mail:

use \55 instead of -

Gerald

Gerald Richter      ecos electronic communication services gmbh
Internet - Infodatenbanken - Apache - Perl - mod_perl - Embperl

E-Mail:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Tel:        +49-6133/925151
WWW:        http://www.ecos.de      Fax:        +49-6133/925152