Auto-generated mathematica output... People who choose to put optional
information within a document inside of brackets... I have hundreds of
examples here on our site  (http://www.research.att.com/) where we've bumped
up against the use of square brackets followed by one of the key characters
used for purposes not intended to be Embperl...

Regards,
Christian