I am not an expert on the build process - and I have never installed php - but
I have installed mod_ssl with mod_perl by performing the following steps.

fresh source for all three.
build, test and install php.
build, test and install  mod_perl.
build and install apache.

it mod_perl install should not eliminate the php install.

perhaps someone who has done it has more specific info.

cliff rayman
genwax.com