>I don't know about this, are you sure you copied over your
>new modperl httpd to /usr/local/apache after the build,
>and did a full stop / start, this is a common step overlooked
>by the best of us.

Yes, I'm using the new build.  I've compiled perl with debugging turned on
and now gdb shows exactly where the problem occurs: line 267 of SDBM_File.c

262     #ifdef __cplusplus
263     extern "C"
264     #endif
265     XS(boot_SDBM_File)
266     {
267         dXSARGS;
268         char* file = __FILE__;
269
270         XS_VERSION_BOOTCHECK ;

I guess at this point I got to go to a bookstore, get a book on GDB and get
my hands dirty with some debugging :).

Thanks
Dmitry