Ok, thanks for the asnwers

Seems like a great addon for the guide's performance chapter.

Just to ride on this thread and to make the the section complete, what are
the suggested HW requirements for a machine running a general SQL vs
machine doing pure I/O and CPU (httpd/mod_perl). Let me try:

I'm talking about middle requirements, when you don't yet need RAID
solutions and 2 machines are just fine. The sky is the limit for the HW
you can throw on your service, so this is an attempt to specify the best
solution with least costs.

SQL/DB machine:
* HD:  Ultra-Wide SCSI
* RAM: little/No Big Joins, otherwise according to needs
* CPU: medium-high (according to needs)

mod_perl machine:
* HD:  IDE (no real IO but logging)
* RAM: the more the better
* CPU: medium-high (according to needs)

Net:
10M outside connection (no need for 100M because of the web bottleneck)
100M internal net between the 2 machines (the faster the better)

Anything else important I've missed?

This is something I've attempted to cover at
perl.apache.org/guide/hardware.html but it was a general one, I'll have to
split it for httpd and 'other' parts :)

Stas Bekman    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.stason.org/stas
Perl,CGI,Apache,Linux,Web,Java,PC     http://www.stason.org/stas/TULARC
perl.apache.org    modperl.sourcegarden.org   perlmonth.com    perl.org
single o-> + single o-+ = singlesheaven    http://www.singlesheaven.com