Hello,

I'd like to configure my apache installation (which contains
several virtualhosts) to use mod_perl (compiled as DSO)
only with _some_ of the virtualhosts, but not all of them.

That is, I'd like to put a LoadModule directive into those
<virtualhost> sections which use mod_perl and leave it out
in the other virtualhosts. The benefit (so I hoped) would be
a "small" httpd for the non-mod_perl-virtualhosts and a
bigger one for the others.

>From the apache docs, I now get the information that LoadModule
is only allow in a Server Config context. So it seems that
my initial assumption about the DSO mechanism was too optimistic -
when used in server context, I guess that again all httpd processes have
the full size - or is apache smart enough to drop in the module
only when the first function within it is accessed?

It it possible to get the above functionality with DSOs at all?
If not, what is the real benefit of DSO, besides the ability
to remove and add server functionality without recompiling?

_____

Thomas Corte
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>