Hi Ian,

> We run an NT Server using Apache Web Server and I want to run Perl scripts
> on our web site to handle our administration forms.

To get full advantage out of mod_perl, it is more interesting to use it on
UNIX machines. But, in this community, we will encourage you to use mod_perl
even if you are determined to use NT.

> I loaded the Activeperl software onto the server

With the ActivePerl distribution, you can run Perl scripts in plain CGI
mode, but you cannot use mod_perl.

> but then
> the service won't restart.

You should provide a complete technical description of your problem.

> I read a lot about the MOD-PERL but very little
> about what it is and how it works, is this my problem?

Yes. You should start by reading http://perl.apache.org/guide. Take your
time to read this document carefully.

> Is anyone willing to tell me in <SIMPLE> terms what i have to do to get
this
> thing working?

You should understand that mod_perl is a bridge between Perl and Apache,
which, apart from its technical excellence, allows Perl programmers to use
their Perl culture while configuring and programming their Web applications
not only at the application level (the script itself) but also at the system
level (the server, i.e. Apache).

Whether you use mod_perl or not, programming a Web application requires
understanding how the Web works and how http servers work. Reading
http://perl.apache.org/guide will attract your attention to mod_perl's major
ambitions.

Try to define what your application's ambition first of all, then look for
corresponding guidelines in that document.

Victor.