I remember the thread from a couple of weeks ago between you and Matt
Sergeant about adding XML support to Apache::ASP.  From what I could tell,
you were proposing to extend your ASP tag parser to allow for dynamic
creation of documents based on XML templates.  What I'm discussing here is
something slightly different: creating a mod_perl handler that reads posted
XML snippets and then passes them off to other perl modules that know what
to do with the XML (e.g., parse it and stuff in a database, store it to the
filesystem).  I'm assuming my other modules would then know the correct XML
of client that is connecting to the system, the returned XML may optionally
be passed through another filter, XSL processor, or passed directly to the
client.

This system appears to be fairly easy to create under mod_perl with a few
handlers and the use of the myriad XML modules on CPAN.  Cocoon appears to
be trying to automate this process with a java object API where the
developer can define the "producer", "processor", and "formatter" of the XML
on the server.  The concept seems easily recreatable in a mod_perl context,
and I'm wondering if anyone has attempted it and what are some possible
pointers/pitfalls/advice to consider.

Thanks,
Alex