I'm using Solaris (SunOS 5.7, according to uname).

The number of files varies, and I can control this if I know what the limits
are.  Is the 256 limit per process or for the entire machine?  For instance,
if I have 10 apache children going full bore, is the practical limit 25 per
child, or 256 per child?

I saw (in the code) that there's one open file per uploaded file.  That
should be fine.  I just need to find out if they're getting closed
correctly.

What is "lsof"?

Thanks!

-jse