> I have no real conclusion to reach, except that it seems to be leaking
> files.

Well, I wanted to write Apache::FileLeak or an extension to
Apache::VMonitor to show the opened file descriptors, the files and the
processes that have opened them, but this requires a root access unless
you want to see the information about the current process only.

The other problem is that I couldn't find a generic cross platform
library, that provides this kind of information.

I've suggested to have a hook in the parent process that will be able to
deliver this only root accessible information to a non-root child. Just
like the information about apache processes can be retrieved by any child
thru mod_status or Apache::VMonitor (Apache::Scoreboard).

On linux I'd retrieve the information about opened fds by reading
/proc/PID/fd directory, probably it's the same on every OS that supports
proc fs.

So the two problems to be solved are:

1) finding a generic solution to retrieve the fd info as root
2) making this information available to the child processes

Ideas?

Stas Bekman             | JAm_pH    --    Just Another mod_perl Hacker
http://stason.org/      | mod_perl Guide http://perl.apache.org/guide/
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  | http://perl.org    http://stason.org/TULARC/
http://singlesheaven.com| http://perlmonth.com http://sourcegarden.org