On Sat, 22 Apr 2000, Leslie Mikesell wrote:

> So, does that still leave mod_perl serializing access until
> everything is rewritten to be thread-safe?

no, -Dusethreads with 5.6.0 makes the Perl runtime (aka PerlInterpreter),
re-entrant.  all of Perl's internal globals (symbol table, stacks,
etc.) become part of the PerlInterpreter structure, each interpreter
clone has it's own copy of any writeable data (symbol table, stacks, etc.)
the syntax tree is shared.
this makes it possible to concurrently call subroutines in different
threads, which was not possible with 5.005_03.

this doesn't solve the problem of xs modules or c libraries that are not
thread-safe, we'll have to fix any trouble makers as they pop up.