On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, Gerald Richter wrote:

> > So, does that still leave mod_perl serializing access until
> > everything is rewritten to be thread-safe?
> >

> No, mod_perl 2.0 assign a "full" Perl interpreter to every Apache thread. So
> the Perl modules itself need not to be thread safe. Perl 5.6 has some nice
> features to clone a Perl interpreter in a efficent way (syntax tree of
> modules (loaded before clone) is used by all cloned Perl interpreters, while
> the data is separate for all cloned Perl interpreters). mod_perl 2.0 get
> manages a pool of cloned Perl interpreters which is assigns as neccessary to
> the Apache threads.

I suspect that two things are going to happen here.  The CPAN community is
going to have to turn the crank one more time to update popular modules to
work under this environment.  DBI and its drivers are going to be
particularly important.  Secondly, this Perl environment is going to
reveal things that people never considered doing before, and some new and
useful modules will be added to our arsenal.

But first, Apache 2.0 will need to get out the door.

-jwb