> On Thu, 4 May 2000, Stas Bekman wrote:

> > > Can't we use WWW::Search - If I recall correctly some of the sites can be
> > > restricted to a domain, so you could build a search interface pretty
> > > easily.
> >
> > DESCRIPTION :
> > This class is the parent for all access methods supported by the
> > WWW::Search library. This library implements a Perl API to web-based
> > search engines.
> >
> > It's not the search engine -- it's a Perl API to the search engines. We
> > need a search engine not the API to it. Did I miss something?
>
> Yes. On some of the search engines (AltaVista springs to mind) you can
> search for things on particular web sites, or even links to particular web
> sites. So as long as AltaVista keeps its search contents up to date, you
> can leverage their engine. IIRC either Randall or Lincoln did a
> WebTechniques article about this a few months ago.

Oh, I see.

But I want to stress these 2 points:

1) Currently each chapter in the Guide is a huge document, so doing search
and having a hit, doesn't really help as you still have to go thru the
page to find the exact section that you want to read. So I think we want a
search engine that's not working with the master version per se, but with
a copy which has name anchors for each line and:

  a. can bring you to exact line with match
  b. have the keyword highlighted

2) Most of the search engines have problems with keywords including
non-alpha chars, like if you search for Apache::Registry you will end up
searching for Apache and Registry since :: is ignored. Now think about
'$r->print' 'BEGIN {', '$@', etc. All these are must for the doc with many
non-alpha characters which should be searched for.

What do you think?

Stas Bekman             | JAm_pH    --    Just Another mod_perl Hacker
http://stason.org/      | mod_perl Guide  http://perl.apache.org/guide
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  | http://perl.org    http://stason.org/TULARC/
http://singlesheaven.com| http://perlmonth.com http://sourcegarden.org