On Fri, 12 May 2000 11:15:02 -0500, Keith G. Murphy wrote:

>What great functionality is lost if users turn off their scripting?
>
>Of course, this may be an abstract question in terms of programming, if
>users *do* insist on enabling scripting.

Some applications (for better or worse) support the use of Javascript/VB script to do
client side
processing/validations, which allow for example, data ranges to be checked without
returning data back
to the server, insure that all form fields were filled in, etc.  These would not work
with scripting
disabled, unless I am missing something (quite possible, though <grin>)

Granted you could force (and should anyway, as you should never accept user input
verbatim <grin>) all
such validation logic back at the server, but this gets into UI/look and feel issues
as every data entry
screen would require a trip back to the server, and not give the user the illusion of
"real-time"
validations, reformatting, etc., that they have come to expect using windows/mac/X
applications.

I might be veering off-topic into a general web based design philosophy discussion, so
forgive me if
this is the case ... but it answered the question of the types of things that might be
lost.

Brgds,

Mike.