On Wed, 17 May 2000, Jeremy Howard wrote:

> <...the perl.apache.org search facility>
> > > *  Where is it? (doing a Find on the front page doesn't show it)
> >
> > At the bottom of all guide pages.
> >
> How funny--I'd never even noticed it!
>
> I see that it's using 'Swish-E' <http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/SWISH-E/>. Stas--did
>you get that up and running? Can we tailor it for our needs?
>
> Here's an attempt at listing what I think we've decided we should aim for:
> - Allow restriction of search to just the guide
> - Allow searching of other documents through a popup selection (probably make the
>guide the default?)
> - Highlight found words
> - Try and index in a way that suits programmers, not English writers. e.g. include
>@, %, $, ::, in indexed words.
>
> Have I missed anything? (I'm ignoring the docbook issue for the moment since it's
>not directly related, and I guess it's really Stas' call anyhow.)

So far these are the engines that we are going to deplo:

1st search: Randy Kobes: swish engine + perl filters
http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/cgi-bin/guide-search

2nd search: Vivek Khera: nextrieve engine
http://thingy.kcilink.com/cgi-bin/modperlguide.cgi

Both more or less cover the demands from my yours and mine wishlists.

I'll link to these from the Guide. You are welcome to present other search
engines if you think you can get a better one. I promise to link to all of
them, assuming that you will take the responsibility to keep up with
updates. I'll delete all the references to search engines which will not
update their indexed version as I did before with some quite good search
engine that didn't keep up with updates and had half a year old version,
and users were using a *very* outdated guide as a result.

> I would have thought the best bet would be to put it on the footer of every
>perl.apache.org page. A popup which allows selecting a subset of the site might
>default to either 'whole site' or 'mod_perl Guide', or maybe it changes it's default
>to whatever part of the site is currently being viewed...
>
> The outstanding issues, I believe, are:
> - Who looks after the perl.apache.org search facility? Are they happy to expand its
>functionality as described?
> - What tool? Potential options so far are Swish-e, htdig, or custom Perl (perhaps
>based on Matt's engine). Any of these could be piped through a word-hilighting filter
> - What's the best 1st step? i.e. How can we get a simple search going quickly, while
>providing the foundation for a more complete system down the track?
> - Who's going to do the actual work? As I've mentioned, if a machine is required,
>I'm happy to provide it. However, I don't have the experience in this area to lead
>the work--although of course I'll contribute where I can! It would be nice to get a
>private mailing list going to avoid filling up this list too much more.
>
> Anyone who's interesting in getting involved, email me, and I'll ensure that I add
>your name to the list. You don't have to be a programming guru, of course... there's
>always plenty of ways to get involved in these things.

Well, things are just happening. Vivek and Randy already created their
versions and presented them at the list, received feedbacks, made
corrections and have the engines working. As I've mentioned above you are
very welcome to beat their achievement and get an even better engine :)

P.S. Asking "who is going to do that" is a bad idea on this list... I'm
not bitching, Just telling the fact. If you want something to be done
either ask for help or do it yourself.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://perl.org     http://stason.org/TULARC
http://singlesheaven.com http://perlmonth.com http://sourcegarden.org