"Drew Taylor wrote:

> So my question is: Is variable initialization necessary? Is being a
> lexical enough? To date, I've played it safe. But if I don't have to...
> then I won't.

Hi Drew,

A couple of points:
1. I couldn't tell you for sure about performance, but I wouldn't worry too
much. If you are working on a perfessional system, then I'd bet that you have
enough hardware to handle any slight performance hit that might be seen.

2. Lear to use strict (see perldoc strict). Once you have this down, you'll have
everything you need on scoping. It's more difficult to program under strict, but
much safer.

3. Further, there are some issues on scoping vars (or rather failing to) when
running under mod_perl. My experience sais to always lexically scope vars,
preferably with my() where applicable.

----
Rodney Broom