Rodney Broom wrote:

> A couple of points:
> 1. I couldn't tell you for sure about performance, but I wouldn't worry too
> much. If you are working on a perfessional system, then I'd bet that you have
> enough hardware to handle any slight performance hit that might be seen.
I know. But I'll soon be to the point where I can start optimizing code.
The hardware can take it, but why not eek out a few more RPS? :-)

> 2. Lear to use strict (see perldoc strict). Once you have this down, you'll have
> everything you need on scoping. It's more difficult to program under strict, but
> much safer.
>
> 3. Further, there are some issues on scoping vars (or rather failing to) when
> running under mod_perl. My experience sais to always lexically scope vars,
> preferably with my() where applicable.
Been there, done that. :-) I no longer consider myself a novice. I was
merely curious as to the general concensus. It sounds like all the major
CPAN modules initialize to avoid warnings under -w, so I'll keep on my
previous course. All in all, it was an interesting discussion - it
mostly satisfied my curiosity.

--
Drew Taylor
Vialogix Communications, Inc.