On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 11:30:44PM -0400, Rick Myers wrote:

> > Another interesting thing about this issue: if I assign
> > $port{$portname} + 1 to $Port, and not just $port{$portname}, it
> > works! If I ever try to return $Port to the needed value, e.g. using
> > the -- operator, it doesn't work again. This completely stumps me. I
> > tried just about any trick you can think of to get the value from
> > $port{$portname} to $Port, but I can't -- if I add to it or substract
> > from it, it's fine, but if it somehow gets back to the original value,
> > in any way, it doesn't work again.
> >
> > Does that give any new ideas as to the source of this issue?
>
> Yes. The source of the issue is that you sent your ErrorLog to
> /dev/null. Send it somewhere else where you can read it and you should
> find the error in short order.

That's what I do in my configuration file -- I just trimmed it down to
show just the code that matters in the sample that I sent to the list.

Here's the error I get in the error log:
[Wed Jul 19 10:07:14 2000] [crit] (13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to
port 80
It couldn't bind to port 80 because another web server is running
there. This means that it didn't recognize the $Port setting,
although printing $Port from within the config file prints 8010
properly. That's precisely the problem.

--
Alex Shnitman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
LiveLinx Extensible Solutions Ltd.