On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, George Sanderson wrote:

<snip>

> >> Curiously enough, "PerlFreshRestart On" has always worked for me, even
> >> on the production servers.
> >>
> >> It's pretty damn useful too, giving servers a graceful restart everytime
> >> you upload a module...  it'd be a pain to have to fully restart the
> >> server every time, that would mean like 10 seconds of downtime for the
> >> whole site.
> >
> >It's even more useful if you want to cache a large quantity of data in
> >ram with the root process and then periodically refresh that data.
> >
> I agree!
>
> What was happening to me, was that with "PerlFreshRestart On", I would get a
> segmentation fault every time used AutoIndex.pm.  I removed the directive
> and the problem went away.  I have seen other references to memory leaks
> and such.
>
> If anyone has suggestions as to why the "PerlFreshRestart On" would
> aggervate segment faults, I would like to here them.

Some perl modules don't take well to being reinitialized.

Stas mentions it in the guide, and it's been noted quite a few times here
on the mailing list.  Personally, I've never run into any modules that
gave me any problems but I know they are out there.

--
<Douglas Leonard>
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>