At 10:28 PM 9/26/2000 +0200, Alexander Farber (EED) wrote:
>Doug MacEachern wrote:
> > > modperl is the best kept secret on the net. Shame!
> > seems to generate plenty of list traffic for a "secret" ;)
>
>Don't you all think, that mod_perl isn't promoted enough and
>this will kill it someday, despite its technical goodness?
>
>- There are no articles in the "mainstream" computer press
>   (like cnet.com, www.ix.de, etc) about mod_perl.
>
>- There are no benchmarks, comparing to Java/Coldfusion/whatever.
>
>- I work at a big telco, and no one cares/knows here about
>   mod_perl (except our intranet-webmaster, who still prefers
>   PHP, since it makes him less trouble).
>
>- People, who have heard about mod_perl, are looking for servlet/
>   JSP-programmers, because mod_perl-coders are hard to find.

I unfortunately have to agree.

Depending on where you go Perl programmers may be easier to find that Java
programmers, but finding an existing mod_perl programmer is not easy. It's
doable, but not easy. And in the end, the salaries for mod_perl programmers
are pretty high right now because of it -- so will a system really cost
less to develop in mod_perl than in Java if Java programmers are becoming
less expensive than mod_perl programmers?

We all have to do our part to evangelize mod_perl more. I think ISPs are
really key here as I think I may have mentioned before. If you get the ISPs
supporting and evangelizing mod_perl (and pre-installed mod_perl
applications) then you will get users using it and liking it. How many ISPs
advertise support for mod_perl? How many without charging like US$100 more
a month on top of the normal account fees?

PHP comes with a lot of ISP accounts for free with no extra cost. Java does
not yet, but I've started seeing ISPs starting to support Java in the low
end shared server accounts...

Later,
    Gunther

Gunther Birznieks ([EMAIL PROTECTED])