From: clayton cottingham [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 4:11 PM
To: Greg Cope
Cc: Jason Liu; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: database access

Greg Cope wrote:

> Jason Liu wrote:
> >
> > Is Apache::DBI absolutely necessary if you want to establish persistent
> > database connection per child?
>
> No you can write your own (its open source remember ;-) but why bother -
> standing on the shoulders of giants etc ....
>
> Greg
>

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jason

the problem can also be resolved depending on the type of db used

yes you can program your own levels of persistence

finding a database that can do this for you can be a great help.

postgres for instance has concurrent locking , on table , row and or
column.

using its Pg module instead of DBD::Pg and DBI

handles the opening and closing of the connections too ;)

making your own wrapper module ito interface with DBI or PG is a good
thing to do as well

i usually use something that does all the basic statement handling and
db connect strings

then i can just
use PGForm; #my module to go to Pg
PGform($db,$user,$password,$sqlstatement);

and
if a select returns a array of arrays

else if insert update delete etc returns ok or error