I haven't followed this thread too closely, so forgive me if I'm not quite
with it...

> It would be very useful to be able to specify at connect time that
> you don't want a particular connection to be persistent.  If you have
> a lot of small databases or some with different user/password
> permissions
> you accumulate too many backend servers - but if you also have one
> or more connections used all the time you don't want to give up
> Apache::DBI.

you can already do this with Apache::DBI...

change DBI->connect() to the (undocumented) 6 parameter call:

      $dbh = DBI->connect($dbase, $user, $pass, \%attr,
                          undef, "connect") || die $DBI::errstr;

which will override the default Apache::DBI behavior of caching new
connections...

HTH

--Geoff