kyle dawkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 05:52, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
> > > 6. Engineering
> > > The Perl community is made up of a truly eclectic group of people, which
> > > is an amazing strength.  However, it's also an amazing weakness:  I get
> > > the impression that very few programmers in the Perl community spend a
> > > lot of time *reading* books on software engineering and techniques
> > > thereof... and
> >
> > I'm not convinced about this. Although from my limited experience, I'm not
> > very fond of them....
>
> Hmmm, I'm not sure if you're talking about the programmers or the books.  Ha.
>  But seriously, I lose a lot of respect for people who don't continually
> study software engineering yet call themselves developers.  Our craft is
> constantly evolving, and to ignore the material that's available to us to
> learn new techniques is completely irresponsible and it leads to some of the
> problems that we are bemoaning in this very thread.

I admit I read these kinds of books fairly often, although because of
the sites I do they can tend towards more general topics (Funky
Business, Cluetrain Manifesto), but Extreme Programming and Rapid
Development are two of the bibles. I have to say though, I've avoided
the Design Patterns type books purely because of the C++/Java bias.

That said, anyone who hasn't digested Damian Conway's OO Perl book is a
total slacker.

*snip*

Dave

--