At 09:13 PM 12/5/00 +0100, you wrote:
>On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Eric Strovink wrote:
>
> > A number of people have been beating around this bush, so why not just
> > mow it down?
> >
> > A huge win for advocacy would be a small set of complete example
> > applications targetted at, say, the last two RedHat distros.  Each
> > application should install itself -- .conf files, .htaccess files,
> > dbm's, directory structures, perl code, html and templates, correct
> > version of Perl, CPAN packages for any stuff needed, Apache, mod_perl,
> > mod_ssl, mod_whatever, mysql, database schemas, database contents,
> > DBI, Session, front-end proxy -- everything.  Each application should
> > gronk whatever's already there, or rename it out of the way.
> > Warnings in big letters.  Tough doots.
> >
> > Each application package should contain dumbed-down documentation that
> > explains what it does, and how it does it.
> >
> > The idea would be to put into people's hands several different
> > complete, debugged, sophisticated frameworks for building the rest of
> > their application.  All the hard stuff's done -- .conf, proxying, DBI,
> > session control, cookies, templating, compiling, building, and so on.
> > All the newbie has to do is tweak an already-working example, without
> > necessarily understanding all of what s/he's been given.
>
>Sounds like a good project fore Xtropia.com... Gunther?

We already do this for CGI/flatfile distribution. I suppose we could
experiment with making a mod_perl,mySQL optimized solution for our stuff. I
have an intern who could probably make this work within the next couple of
months.

I don't think I would do more by making a binary mySQL/Apache/mod_perl
distro along with our apps though. That's too much of a can of worms.

Later,
    Gunther