At 01:05 PM 12/5/00 -0600, Jay Jacobs wrote:

>On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
> > What we want is very simple.
> >
> > 1. We want many users, so they will thoroughly test the software and spot
> > bugs asap, so we -- current users will get a better product.
> >
> > 2. We want more developers, so they will write core mod_perl and 3rd party
> > modules, again for us current users to re-use and save development
> > time. The first item is directly linked to the second, as new developers
> > come out from users.
>
>I think a good first step in that direction is to have mod_perl modules to
>do some of the basic things that early web developers want... a few really
>well documented and tailored-for-newbies modules.  I think back a few
>years to "Matt's Script Archive", and what that did for perl and
>CGI. (Anyone for Apache::Formmail?)
>
>Just some stuff to get the new developer interesting in figuring out how
>to compile mod_perl, and to see the benefits of it.  It could even be done
>with step-by-step examples, with gradually increasing functions.  ( "Now
>move on to Guestbook-DBI" ... "Now add in Apache::Session for such-n-such
>functions" )  Perhaps even offer the same modules under mason, embperl
>axkit, etc. so folks can take a step in those directions too.

I think this is what the Eagle book does really. But within your idea, I
would advocate more standalone applpications.

It so happens that the guestbook we distribute on eXtropia supports
flatfiles on mod_perl but if you want, you can graduate it to a DBI version
that works with mod_perl.

>I just think back to the time when I started putting smarts-to-web and
>these were the first steps I took, and I looked for that kind of hand
>holding as I figured out how to make it work.

I think this makes sense. I could also see Apache::FormMail being
interesting if it was written from an ISP perspective (giving users a form
mail that can be used by any server). BTW, our WebResponder app (Basically
same as Matt Wright's Form Mail) works with mod_perl too.

Same as our WebDB and our WebCalendar.

Later,
    Gunther