This debate has really hit some hot buttons.  I love reading the
exchanges as there are clearly some personal philosophies at work here.
Ain't it great!

    Michael> Give a man a dump truck full of leggos, motors and gears
    Michael> and you can build some really interesting stuff, give man
    Michael> an end mill or a lathe and he can build a rocket ship to
    Michael> the moon. You figure out which one is Weblogic and which
    Michael> one is Apache-modperl :-)

Doubtful.

In my experience, these so-called enterprise solutions are just that
... a huge lathe, or whatever an end mill is.  Their solution to even
the most minute problem is to throw huge - I mean huge - application
piece parts at it, hoping to bury it in the wizard technology of the
moment.  There is no other solution.  You get it all or you get none of
it.  Or if you only want a part of the bulk, you still must sift through
a mountain of installed crap.  "What do you mean I need 1GB of disk and
500 MB of memory just to get an internet-enabled report queue manager?"

Now maybe some feel better with a large enterprise application server or
whatever staring over one's shoulder, but I prefer to build my solution
in a way that I get only what I need.  The rest can be called upon,
installed if you will, when it is deemed necessary (by me, or by the
needs of the environment), but otherwise only the necessary parts are
present and in play.  And I can determine what is necessary and when,
not the vendor supplying the solution-of-all-solutions.

Apache/mod_perl has enabled my team and I to craft finely detailed
modules that I can apply to specific problems in my intranet
environment.  I can bring to the battle one, some, or all of mod_perl's
intrinsics coupled with the vast CPAN, tightly woven with modules of

An enterprise-size solution is rarely a viable answer to an
enterprise-size problem.

<JM.02W>

Peace.