On our intranet server I have a page that allows the user to
start a long running process. In order not to hang a httpd
child I fork off the process and detach it from the calling
process. This works fine most of the time.

However in the unusual situation where apache needs to be
restarted while the long running process is still running I
can not restart apache. It complains that: 'Address already
in use: make_sock: could not bind to address', which as far
as I can make out is because the long running process has
inherited the open sockets from the apache child.

Has anyone got an idea how to get around this? Can I get to
the inherited socket connection and close it when I have
detached from the calling process?

Kees Vonk