JR Mayberry wrote:

> I strongly dislike the benchmarks on the below URL, its very
> misleading..
>
> The Modperl handler benchmark, which was done on a dual P3 500mhz on
> Linux does serious injustice to mod_perl. Anyone who uses Linux knows
> how horrible it is on SMP, I think some tests showed it uses as litle as
> 25% of the second processor..

Please feel free to run the tests yourself, and if you give
me the results, I'll be sure to post them at a later date
at http://www.chamas.com/bench/ .  You can grab the benchmarks
from http://www.chamas.com/bench/hello.tar.gz

Its only with data from multiple platforms that people will
get a comfortable look at the environments cross platform
exactly as you say.

> I don't think the benchmarks can be taken for anything, you have
> benchmarks running on different Architectures other then PC based... 300
> mhz on Sun is totally different then 300 mhz on PC based products....
> and the real number that drives this benchmark is HITS/S/MHZ..

Yes, I've done these 300Mhz tests before on Solaris & WinNT
and the results are at http://www.chamas.com/bench/ ... got
to http://www.chamas.com/bench/hello_bysystem.html for anything
useful.

> I think for any real test that means anything, there needs to be some
> controlled factors, ie: the hardware and operating system..

The new thing this round of testing is a portable test suite
that anyone can run and control their factors as they please.

--Josh

NodeWorks >> free web link monitoring   Huntington Beach, CA  USA