On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 02:36:21PM -0800, Joshua Chamas wrote:
> Jamie Krasnoo wrote:
> >
> > Ok, I've had it with RH 7.0. Too many problems. What Linux distro are some
> > of you using with Apache 1.3.14 and mod perl 1.24_01?
> >

> I haven't used it yet, but I would eagerly be looking for
> one that has reiserfs compiled in.  Is that a debian distro?
>
> I'm sitting on a redhat 6.2 distro and fsck'ing a 20G ext2fs
> raid-1 partition is not my idea of happy downtime. :(

I got fed up with the corrupted ex2fs filesystems on my workstation a month or two
ago, and converted to reiserfs.

As far as I know, debian doesn't have ReiserFS built into the kernel on the install
disks.  What most people do, and what I did, is something like the following:

- do a very minimal install of debian to a small (200-300 MB) partition.
- grab the kernel source and the reiserfs patch
- build the kernel & module & reisertools.
- reboot with the new kernel
- mkreiserfs /dev/hda3 (or whatever partitions you want to be reiser)
- mount -t reiser -notail /dev/hda3 /mnt/new
- copy the directories in / (except /mnt/new, /proc, etc) to /mnt/new
- mkdir /mnt/new/proc
- modify /mnt/new/etc/fstab accordingly
- reboot, but at the lilo prompt pass root=/dev/hda3
- edit /etc/lilo.conf as required

I've created a 20 MB /boot as ext2fs.

The instructions above are off the top of my head. I think better instructions are at
debianplanet.org, but I can't remember where.

Regards,

Wim Kerkhoff
[EMAIL PROTECTED]