Victor Michael Blancas wrote:

> I've been using Apache::ASP for our clients for more than a year already.
> Check out www.alumni.net, it's one of our biggest clients, all pages are
> dynamic, database backend is Oracle via DBI.
>
> I'm planning to implement a DBI session management integrated with
> Apache::ASP, much like how Apache::Session works. Is this better for
> clustered web servers with a single database server or do I just nfs mount
> a shared directory and put the global directory there? Anyone doing this
> already or do I just install Apache::Session and use its DBI session
> management? Thanks.

Until I've writting a native Apache::ASP database session layer,
I'd recommend setting up a shared StateDir on a samba mount/CIFS
share, which supports flock() semantics, unlike linux NFS.

Also, you could set up a $Session variable in your global.asa
Script_OnStart using Apache::Session.  Just set NoState 1,
or AllowApplicationState 0, so the ASP $Session won't get created.
With an Apache::Session session, you do not get Session_OnEnd
and Session_OnStart events.

You can get away with NFS for a low volume app, about 40 writes
per seconds in testing before internal session data starts getting
lost, but you will lose $Session->Lock() & SessionSerialize
functionality.

--Josh

NodeWorks >> free web link monitoring   Huntington Beach, CA  USA