Hi,

I recently discovered the following on an Apache/mod_perl server.

I have Apache for win32, ActiveState's Perl and the mod_perl PPM installed
(on a Windows 2000 Pro OS, but read on anyway ;). All were downloaded and
installed last week so they are the latest versions.

Each time a page is downloaded the Apache service process claims more
memory. Well, not each time but like for every 20th download the task
manager shows Apache using 20-30K more...

A test showed that reloading the same page 2000 times raised Apaches
memory by approx 1000k.

At first I thought that this was due to some sloppy programming (of mine)
in my recent mod_perl handler, but not so. When using an empty handler
(just the handler sub shell without any code inside it) the same thing
occurred.

This does not happen when loading non-script files (plain html).

Then I did the same test on an ordinary CGI Perl script (no mod_perl) and
the same thing happened then as well (so why am I posting this here?!).

Since this is on win32 Apache will continue using the same (sub-)process
until it's restarted (unlike Unix; though it IS possible to set up a
'retirement plan' on win32 as well). My fear is that Apache will end up
using all the RAM...

Does anyone know why this is happening? Is it the win32 build of Apache or
does this happen on other platforms also?

Thanks,
-Kurt.
kurt george gjerde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
dept. of media studies, university of bergen