Yea, I tried that, but it was still unhappy.  There are apparently a
couple of other tweaks that needed to be done.   I didn't think too
much about it; after the first error, I went looking for information
and found the patch.

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/textproc/eperl/Makefile

cheers,
Todd