Guys guys guys

Mixing HTML with Perl with SQL is bad and evil on every single possible
level.  For those who don't know how to split apart your perl from your HTML
I suggest you read some of Perrin's recent posts.  There are so many ways to
do it, I won't even bother with talking about them here.

As for SQL, I just wish people would expand their horizons a little and
start doing a bit of reading.  There are so many different ways to avoid
embedding SQL in application code and I sincerely wish programmers would
THINK before just coding... it's what differentiates scripters from
engineers and I suggest everyone who embeds SQL in their perl for anything
other than quick-and-dirty hacks start considering other options for the
good of the programming community AND THE SANITY OF WHOMEVER HAS TO MAINTAIN
OR ALTER YOUR CODE.

If you wish to see one enlightened approach, please read this:

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/webobjects/DiscoveringWO/EOFArchitecture
/index.html

Fine, it's Java (yuk).  Fine, it's Apple (yuk).  But it used to be *NeXT*
and it used to be *Obj-C*, both very very fine things indeed.

One of the projects I am working on right now, for example, involves an
awful lot of DB access.  There is not a single line of SQL in our
application code.  It's 100% mod_perl. This is a gooood thing.

To be fair, if you want to talk to DB at all, you will need SQL somewhere;
what I mean by "embedding SQL in perl" is embedding it *application* logic.
It has no purpose there and you might as well be using some dumbass
technology like CF or PHP because your code will be just as maintainable.

I just implore readers of this list to start thinking more as engineers and
less as script kiddies.  We all love mod_perl and its power and we want it
to succeed.  We'll only get somewhere with it if we actually make the effort
to write better code.  Mixing SQL and perl is not better code.

Cheers to all

kyle
Software Engineer
Central Park Software