Homsher, Dave V. writes:
 > Joe Breeden queried:
 >
 > >>It would be interesting to know how other people have solved
 > >>that problem.
 > >>Currently, we are essentially using embedded SQL in our apps.
 >
 > I have found that stored procedures + perl module wrapper around the procs.
 > is a nice, balanced approach.
 >
 > The procs. give a nice performance boost as they are precompiled into the
 > server (we use Sybase).

They are definitely faster, and significantly so.

 > I believe that they are more secure, in that you
 > aren't dynamically generating sql that might be 'hijack-able'.

Using RPC calls instead of language commands also improves speed, and
solves the "quoting" problem, too.

 > Placing the stored procedure
 > execution code in a perl module makes for easy/clean perl access from the
 > rest of the app.

Absolutely. I've actually created configuration files for logical
database requests (essentially a hash that describes the input and
output of each proc) which lets me use a generic module (about 400
lines) of Sybase::CTlib code for *all* database access.

Works very well, and abstracts the database layer quite nicely.

Michael
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - [EMAIL PROTECTED]