>  > I have found that stored procedures + perl module wrapper around the
procs.
>  > is a nice, balanced approach.
>  >
>  > The procs. give a nice performance boost as they are precompiled into
the
>  > server (we use Sybase).
>
> They are definitely faster, and significantly so.

Maybe so for Sybase.  In Oracle, your SQL statements get cached anyway, as
long as you're using bind variables instead of just dynamically building the
SQL strings.  (They get cached even if you don't use bind variables, but
they'll quickly overflow the cache if you keep changing them with each new
value in the WHERE clause.)

> Using RPC calls instead of language commands also improves speed, and
> solves the "quoting" problem, too.

The same goes for bind variables.
- Perrin