> On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Kyle Dawkins wrote:
>
> KD> Definitely; sotred procedures are hit-and-miss in a lot of
> KD> environments. Remember that a large number of people in the
> KD> mod_perl world can't use 'em because they (we) use MySQL.  If one
> KD> wanted to emulate this behaviour with MySQL, you would essentially
> KD> clone the functionality of your stored procedures using Perl + DBI
> KD> inside your persistence layer.  That is a perfectly viable
> KD> approach too, but a lot less efficient than stored procedures
> KD> (many roundtrips versus one).
>
> And while we are discussing "not cutting corners", those who still use
> MySQL should switch to a real DBMS before they even think of abstracting
> the SQL away from their Perl code.
>
> That people still use MySQL really shows how many lusers there are with
> computers that try to develop real software. I said _try_.
>
> *sigh*

MySQL has its place in the database world, otherwise it would not be so
widely deployed. Some tasks do not require a huge full featured DBMS to get
the job done, so why should they put that requirement on the end user? Are
you under the impression that Oracle is the best db server to use for a web
based voting application? Probably not...

Using MySQL is not cutting corners, its a design decision... if MySQL suits
the needs of the developers and their application, spending time switching
to a "real DBMS" is a total waste.

Ryan