On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Kyle Dawkins wrote:

KD> Definitely; sotred procedures are hit-and-miss in a lot of
KD> environments. Remember that a large number of people in the
KD> mod_perl world can't use 'em because they (we) use MySQL.  If one
KD> wanted to emulate this behaviour with MySQL, you would essentially
KD> clone the functionality of your stored procedures using Perl + DBI
KD> inside your persistence layer.  That is a perfectly viable
KD> approach too, but a lot less efficient than stored procedures
KD> (many roundtrips versus one).

And while we are discussing "not cutting corners", those who still use
MySQL should switch to a real DBMS before they even think of abstracting
the SQL away from their Perl code.

That people still use MySQL really shows how many lusers there are with
computers that try to develop real software. I said _try_.

*sigh*

--
Henrik Edlund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.edlund.org/

"You're young, you're drunk, you're in bed, you have knives; shit
happens." -- Angelina Jolie