:-)

> In Makefile.PL I have:
>
>     package ConfigModule;
>
>     ## ... (as directed by Eagle)
>
>     my @directives = (
>             { name         => 'NewConfigDirective',
>               errmsg       => 'argument to config directive',
>               args_how     => 'TAKE1',
>               req_override => 'RSRC_CONF'
>             }
>         );

I'm assuming you have more than that... :-)

> and in ConfigModule.pm I have:
>
>     sub NewConfigDirective ($$$) {
>         my ($cfg, $parms, $arg) = @_;
>         $cfg->{'NewConfigDirective'} = $arg;
>     }
>

> One clue I've found as to where something might be going wrong is that
> when I comment out the 'args_how' line in Makefile.PL and run 'perl
> Makefile.PL' I get this error:
>
>     Can't determine prototype for
> `ConfigModule::NewConfigDirective':  at
>
> /usr/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.005/i686-linux/Apache/ExtUtils.pm line 133.

That's because ConfigModule.pm isn't loaded at the time. You'd have to
require() it or use() it.

> So it looks as though something isn't reading ConfigModule.pm on
> WriteMakefile or on command_table and possibly not
> registering the handler
> for the new directive, which might explain why I'm getting a
> syntax error
> in the httpd.conf file when the server starts. But what would
> be causing
> that to happen? I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with the MakeMaker
> mechanism to figure out what's going on. Then again, I'm not
> sure that's
> really the problem, so disregard it if you think it's a red herring.

Are you getting a ConfigModule.xs file written and compiled OK?

> Details:
>
> mod_perl version used is 1.23

There have been some fairly serious config directives bugs fixed since then.
I suggest an upgrade.

Matt.