> > I'll look into it, but my sysadmins are worried that
> > upgrading is going to
> > break, in strange and obscure ways, the multiple live
> > commercial sites we
> > have running on our servers. Are there any resources
> > available I might be
> > able to use to reassure them?
> No! They have every right to be concerned. Don't try this
> stuff on a live
> server, seriously. I do it on axkit.org (at least I did it on
> axkit.org when
> it was live), but there was never anything business critical
> on there except
> documentation.

The (possibly a slightly obvious point) way I'd recommend
dealing with this is to test everything on your development
machine(s), make sure it all works, and the upgrade hasn't
broken anything, and then upgrade the live systems,
with plans to revert if it all goes wrong, and so on - the
same way you'd make any other serious upgrade to an
important live system. If you don't have systems
you can test everything out on, you have a serious problem
and should probably deal with this first.

Michael

http://www.iii.co.uk
Interactive Investor International is a leading UK Internet personal
finance service that provides individuals with the capability to identify,
compare, monitor and buy online a number of financial products and services.

Interactive Investor Trading Limited, a subsidiary of Interactive Investor
International plc, is regulated by the SFA.