At 09:14 AM 10/23/2001, Robert Koberg wrote:

> > For comparions, a nice aspect of j2ee applications IMHO is the
> > "application server" tends to be more general. ie. the application
> > server is not just the web server (as it is with mod_perl). I've found
> > j2ee features such as message beans, queues and such especially useful
> > for back-end work. For these reasons, I personally don't buy the
> > argument that mod_perl makes an effective application server for a good
> > sized task (your mileage will vary no doubt ;).> >
>
>What is stopping you from using both, if you want?

It's generally quite tough to convince management that maintaining two sets
of knowledge -- Java and Perl is cost effective. I suppose it depends on
the size of the organization but "consolidation" of "standards" in an
organization is an age-old thing (eg move all servers to NT, move everyone
to Java, etc...)

Whether this actually saves costs is a bit of an arguement probably not
best for this mailing list.

However, I would have to say that I "feel" like coding middleware in Java
is easier and more standardized, and well documented. But I "feel" like
coding front-end web applications is much easier in Perl where the workflow
bits change all the time. For this, I like using SOAP on the backend Java
server and SOAP on the front-end Perl.

YMMV.  And I don't know that many organizations which will allow such a
heterogeneous environment unless a vendor installs it as a turnkey solution
and is willing to deal with all the support.

Gunther Birznieks ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
eXtropia - The Open Web Technology Company
http://www.eXtropia.com/