I had developed Apache module mod_deflate that allow to gzip or deflate
content:

ftp://ftp.lexa.ru/pub/apache-rus/contrib/mod_deflate-1.0.7.tar.gz

This module tested at one of the loaded Russian sites - www.rambler.ru
and several other small Russian sites.
Documentation in Russion only but basic configuration is very simple:

DeflateEnable on

mod_deflate encodes 'text/*' content type.
By default mod_deflate allows encoding if request is HTTP/1.1 and
request is not proxied (it can be changed). So Netscape 4 requests
is not encoded by default.

During testing I found some browser bugs with gzip:

MSIE 4.x can't handle gzipped content if length of URL string without
'http://' prefix is bigger then 253 characters.

Mozilla 0.9.1 and Netscape 6.1b1 don't understand encoding if
header line has tralling spaces - "Content-Encoding: gzip ".

Macromedia FlashPlayer 4.x-5.x doesn't understand gzipped content
recieved by browser via getVariables() function.

Igor Sysoev