> 1. Can this be done (nicely) as a
> authentication/authorization handlier?

Sure, or you could do it as part of another phase if it's easier for you.
There are good exmples on CPAN or in the Eagle book.

> 2. Do most hosting companies allow
> authentication/authorization handlers?  (Using HostRocket
> at the moment).

Most hosting companies don't allow mod_perl.

> 3. What is the most appropriate session management system?
> I'm thinking of using cookies (client side) to store a
> session key, rather than resubmitting the password data.
> The server side stores this session key in the database.

That sounds fine.  There are examples of this in the book too.  Make sure
your session keys can't be forged.

> 4. How does the membership ID get passed to the next stage?

It's typically stored in the session data.

> 5. What is the time to do additional access checking (for
> senior/admin users)?

Impossible to answer.  Totally depends on your setup.

> 6. What is a realistic time to expect all this to happen
> in?

Also impossible to answer, since it depends on your developers and the full
requirements.

- Perrin