fliptop wrote:

> Jon Robison wrote:
> >
> > The most relevant section for you is the Ticket system he describes. (I
> > believe the section header says something about Cookies, but you'll know
> > you have the right one when you see TicketAccess.pm, TicketTools.pm, and
> > TicketMaster.pm. One nice addition is the ability to add encryption to
> > the Ticket, and the fact that the author used an MD5 hash (of an MD5
> > hash!) in the cookie, so verification of the authenticity of the user is
> > pretty solid so long as you leave in things like ip address, etc. which
> > he uses in the cookie by default. (Although AOL and some proxy systems
> > might cause this to be trouble).  AND, he also uses a mysql db for the
>
> i have found that using the HTTP_USER_AGENT environment variable instead
> of ip address solves the problem with proxy servers and the md5 hash.
> anyone ever tried this as a simple workaround?

I think one problem with that is that is fails to uniquely identify the
person.

Someone please tell me if I am wrong - does the USER_AGENT field get
some kind of special serial number from the browser, or is it just a
version identified?

Best example - large company with 1000 PC's, all with same Netscape
installed.  How then does the HTTP_USER_AGENT field deliniate between
PC's?

--Jon