* Randal L. Schwartz ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [011119 11:00]:

> Jon> Randall, you want to expound upon that?
>
> Barely ignoring the spelling of my name, I'll simply claim
>
>         "it's not unique".
>
> Neither is IP address.  Or anything that you haven't specifically
> round-tripped to the browser.  And that doesn't stop someone from
> making another browser respond in the same way, or that browser
> respond in a different way.
>
> But this is obvious.  I'm confused about why I'd have to explain it. :(

I think Randal has pointed out many times, as have others, that a browser isn't
a person.  One doesn't want to authenticate browsers, one wants to authenticate
people.  Using browser specific information to authenticate a person
is not only impossible to do successfully, it is silly to try.  Using cookies is
only a little bit less unsuccessful.

Also, please be sure to note the gotcha in the mod_perl guide that gives you
warning that all browsers behave differently when dealing with a 401 status
code.  Be sure to take that into account.

Thanks,
JJ

--
J. J. Horner
"H*","6a686f726e657240326a6e6574776f726b732e636f6d"

Freedom is an all-or-nothing proposition:  either we
are completely free, or we are subjects of a
tyrannical system.  If we lose one freedom in a
thousand, we become completely subjugated.