Brice D Ruth wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]"> Perrin Harkins wrote:
00a601c1568c$224f0a20$18020c0a@PerriHar">
It *seems* that the script can run once, but
that the next time it is accessed, it cannot connect to the $server
anylonger, it dies with a 'connection timed out' message ... What
'gotcha' is causing this?

It sounds like this problem:
http://mathforum.org/epigone/modperl/joidwendsmeld/3B30E553.AD3A7DB8@chamas.
com

In the message, Joshua suggests a workaround of running mod_perl
single-threaded (which shouldn't make any difference, since mod_perl on
Win32 is already single-threaded).

- Perrin

It certainly seems that this is part of the problem.  Making mod_perl single-threaded fixed my problem *partially* - now at least I can renew the socket connection on subsequent requests.  But, the connection still isn't being taken down properly ... when the page finishes being served, and after 'close( $server );' has been called, the socket on the server side (what the mod_perl script is connecting to) show 'TIME_WAIT' - the server runs five threads to accept connections, once all of them have been connected to once, I can no longer connect to them - what's going on?  Why is the connection not being dismantled properly??

Sincerely (and frustrated),
Brice Ruth

Unfortunately, I've now noticed that my server is unbearably slow - setting 'ThreadsPerChild 1' in my httpd.conf made my server slow to a snails pace (and it really is a pretty quick server on a T1 line dedicated to it, pretty much).  Have I missed something here?  Certainly this isn't the only way mod_perl can run if it needs to make IO::Socket::INET connections???

Please help me out here - I'm truly just a Linux/*BSD guy trying to get a poor Win2K box w/ Apache to run the Perl scripts right ...

-Brice
--
WebProjkt, Inc.
VP, Director of Internet Technology