> Unfortunately, I've now noticed that my server is unbearably slow -
> setting 'ThreadsPerChild 1' in my httpd.conf made my server slow to a
> snails pace (and it really is a pretty quick server on a T1 line
> dedicated to it, pretty much).

That's odd.  On Win32, mod_perl runs as a single blocking thread.  I
wouldn't expect changing that setting to affect anything.  Are you sure
you were running your script under Apache::Registry?  (Maybe someone who
actually uses Win32 could supply some help here?)

> Have I missed something here?  Certainly
> this isn't the only way mod_perl can run if it needs to make
> IO::Socket::INET connections???

I do my mod_perl development on Linux, so I'm just repeating what others
have posted before.  I've never heard of an actual solution for this
problem, just the workaround.

> Please help me out here - I'm truly just a Linux/*BSD guy trying to
get
> a poor Win2K box w/ Apache to run the Perl scripts right ...

You would certainly get better performance on Linux or BSD.  If you have
to use Win32 and need better performance, you may have to look at other
options like ActiveState's PerlEx.

- Perrin